The Hadjipateras family originates from the small Greek island of Oinoussai, located in the eastern Aegean Sea, off the north-east coast of Chios. The family’s connection with shipping pre-dates the formation of John C. Hadjipateras and Sons Ltd. by almost 100 years.
We can trace our roots back to Captain John C. Pateras (b1829 – d1868), who in early 1868, took his eldest son, Constantinos J. Pateras (later Hadjipateras) (b1856 – d 1943) to sea with him on his 150-ton sailing ship. Constantinos was just 12 years old.
Captain John C. Pateras died in late 1868, aged 39, so Constantinos was compelled to remain on board the sailing ship, working as a seafarer, to protect his family’s interests and to support his mother and elder sisters.
In 1894, Constantinos J. Pateras added the pre-fix ‘Hadji’ to his surname, following his pilgrimage to the Holy Land, becoming the first Hadjipateras.
After co-owning a series of sailing ships in the late 19th century, Captain Constantinos J. Hadjipateras, along with several prominent members of the Oinoussian maritime community, was instrumental in the acquisition of the first Oinoussian steamship in 1905, the UK-built 3,550 dwt Marietta Ralli.
In 1905, our founder, John C. Hadjipateras (b1888 – d1979), who was the eldest son of Constantinos J. Hadjipateras, first went to sea aged 17 on board the Marietta Ralli. He obtained his Captain’s Certificate in 1908, at the age of 20.
Several steamships followed, many of which were lost through enemy action during the Balkan War and World Wars I and II. Constantinos J. Hadjipateras died aged 87 in occupied Chios in 1943.
Archimedes Shipping Company Limited
Captain John C. Hadjipateras established Archimedes Shipping Company Limited in London in 1946.
In 1947, the Hadjipateras family were able to acquire two out of the 100 Liberty Ships made available to the Greek shipping community by the US Government. (K. Hadjipateras (ex-George C. Childress), built in 1943 by Todd Houston Shipbuilding Corporation).
In 1952, Archimedes Shipping Co. Ltd. was re-named John C. Hadjipateras & Sons Ltd. and began operating as an owners’ general agent in London. During the ensuing years, Captain John’s four sons Costas, Marcos, Nicolas and Pantelis joined the company.
From the late 1950s, the company developed expertise in newbuilding project management and assisted several principals with the construction of one tanker and three bulk carriers at Boelwerf in Belgium.
In the late 1970s and early 1980s, the company was again involved in newbuilding projects, this time in Japan, with the construction of bulk carriers at Hakodate and Hitachi.
to By the mid-1990s, some of the next generation of the Hadjipateras family, John N., John M. and John P., joined the company, having completed their studies and a period of training at sea.
In 1997, the company developed and implemented its tailor-made Safety Management System to comply with the IMO’s International Safety Management Code.